Sunday, March 11, 2012


Today I awoke with to find a comment on my blog. In fact what is so awesome about that comment is its subject matter. I have been trying to find a topic that appeals to a broad range of people rather than a few idealists. There has been a lot in the news about the KONY2012 and I have seen plenty of people posting the video all over social media websites. So when I awoke to a comment recommending that I choose KONY as my next topic it made sense.

I feel like most people are in support of the KONY2012 project, but some of the things others are saying makes me question its motives. On two different news stations yesterday I actually heard members of other non profits come on the air and plug their foundations as they were unsure if the KONY2012 was a reliable source to send funding. I thought wow, why would anyone go through all this trouble to make awareness of the issue if they weren’t really going to help? So you might wonder what two organizations would go on air saying that they are unsure if the KONY campaign can be trusted. It was none other than UNICEF and the Red Cross. This to me was a media failure. There is something I find wrong with stealing the thunder from a group of dedicated filmmakers and activists. I believe this is a failure because UNICEF and Red Cross had to go on air to question KONY2012’s motive rather than being supportive and getting involved. Instead they were happy to have all who wanted to help KONY2012 send the Red Cross and UNICEF donations. I believe that these two organizations need to revamp their marketing and advertising campaigns in a creative way that reaches millions like that of the KONY  film. There is a truth within the KONY2012 film which enables viewers to relate and react. They have given viewers the key to help, make a difference, and stop KONY. That’s how you get people to react and that’s what other organizations like the Red Cross need to do. I don’t see enough about UNICEF and the Red Cross and when I do it has almost become trivialized as a normal occurrence.

The KONY2012 movement is exploding; people are making choices to be active in making KONY famous. I am excited to see what happens when people blanket the streets on April 20th in their quest to stop KONY.
http://www.kony2012.com/

1 comment: